Website Content: A Guide for Small Business Owners Part 2
In the first blog segment on generating content for your website we offered a few simple tips for written content. In this segment we will discuss getting great visual content.
Part II – Photographic Content
Websites are a visual medium and a picture truly does say a thousand words. Whether those are good words that actually say what you want to say about your business is another story!
Pictures can often make or break a website. Here are a few tips for making sure they make your website great!
1. If you can afford to hire a professional photographer do it. We don’t say this lightly. We realize that it can become costly but it can be truly worth it especially for ecommerce sites. Images sell your product.
2. If you don’t have an ecommerce site, a professional photographer is not quite as critical and if you have a good camera or a friend with a good camera, you may be able to pull off some good photos – see tips 3 – 5.
3. Photographs should be taken at the highest resolution possible to ensure quality images. Photographs can always be reduced in size and resolution for the screen but taking high resolution images allows photos to be cropped or part of image to be used without loss of quality online.
4. Take images in both landscape and portrait orientation to ensure your web developer has many choices to choose from in laying out images on your website.
5. Beside product shots, consider other images you may need. Often times it is nice to include head shots or a group photo of your team. Other photos that you might need include a photo of your brick and mortar storefront if you have one or more detailed inside images for business such as restaurants, wine bars, or car washes.
If your initial images don't turn out the way you'd like don't be afraid to do them again. Great images used well, are key to a great website. Also remember that just like a coat of paint, mixing up your images from time to time is the least expensive way to update the look of your website.